Mongero Monday #26 – Trent Mongero is joined by Lind Hartsell. Hartsell is currently the NJCAA D-II Baseball Committee, Chair after having spent many years as a coach and administrator.
Topic: Everything JUCO
- Juco gives you an opportunity to play and develop.
- D1 has a lot of restrictions you have to follow.
- Juco gives players a lot of opportunity to practice and get better.
- Juco is blue collar and tough.
- Play hard and compete..learn how to fight!
- Smaller school setting gives an athlete a better opportunity in school and baseball.
- Kids and parents are excited for signing day.
- The dream is not to go to JC but sometimes it is best for the player!
- JC has a bad reputation that we have to get rid of as baseball players/coaches.
- Opportunities start at JC.
- You can be drafted each year… you don’t have to wait until your junior year.
- Backlog of players due to covid. Players are going to have to go to JC.
- What is the best option for long term success?
- As a player don’t be content with going D1.. make sure you are able to touch the field.
- JC is a pipeline to major schools.
- Late developers have the opportunity to work it out in the classroom and on the field.
- We are not working against D1…but we want to shine a light on JC.
- As soon as you can establish a comfort zone…the better the results will be.
- Sometimes you have to put your head down and work hard!
- It’s easy to gear up… it’s hard to gear down.
- JC teaches you how to grind/work.
- Google a school and look at their website.
- Look into athletic eligibility.
- Make school your number one priority.
- Find a school that works best for “you” not what others think about the school.