Nate Trosky and Trent Mongero are joined by guest Randy Hood. Randy is the current Hoad Coach at UNC Wilmington!
Randy Hood was named head coach on Apr. 29, 2019, becoming just the fourth head coach in the history of the Seahawk Baseball program.
While entering this third season as head coach in 2021-22, the Goldsboro, N.C., native enters his 21st season overall with the program since joining as an assistant in 2001. During his tenure, the Seahawks have won six Colonial Athletic Association tournament championships, nine CAA regular season titles and made 10 appearances in the NCAA Regionals.
The Seahawks extended their streak of CAA Championship game appearances to six straight in 2021 and finished with a 32-22 record overall and won the South Division with a mark of 13-8. After getting off to a 5-8 start in conference play, the Seahawks rebounded going 8-3 in the final four weeks of the season to clinch the South division title and opening round bye in the CAA tournament.
- Body, Tools, Make up
- Kolten Wong’s makeup is the highest level.
- Recruiters call head coaches and ask about character.
- Recruiting is a little different with covid. Coaches have to adapt.
- Do what’s right because it’s the right thing to do.
- Recruiters are looking at a player before the game and even after the game.
- They also look at how they are dealing with players.
- Coaches are understanding how kids deal with failure.
- When you put too much pressure on yourself it actually hinders yourself more.
- Concerns and defaults.
- The secret to the elite is adversity makes you better.
- First 30 min of practice they are going through breathing exercise.
- Master the mental side of the game before the physical side.
- Change your thoughts… to a positive perspective.
- Players hold internal thoughts too long. Pressure takes over your natural ability.
- You create your own bad breaks. It starts with how you prepare.
- Coaches need to be honest and up front to players/parents.
- If you don’t learn from your failures then you won’t learn.
- You will get “punched in the face” but how do we respond?
- When things aren’t going your way, how do you carry yourself the right way?
- The mom in the stands sometimes has more perspective than anybody else.
- How they move their feet.
- How they anticipate where the ball is going to be.
- Reading where the catcher sets up and moves a few feet.
- Speed should never skimp!
- You never know who’s watching.
- Enjoy the game
- Plan, routine, process